Homeowners Asbestos Disposal Scheme
The Homeowners Asbestos Disposal Scheme allows for safe, cheaper and easier disposal of asbestos from home demolition or renovation projects. Under the Council run initiative all general conditions and advice will match the conditions of the scheme that was run in collaboration with the NSW Environment Protection Authority (EPA) up until 2016.
How to participate
Homeowners in the Wagga Wagga local government area will need to contact Council on 1300 292 442 to check their eligibility for participation in the scheme. Participation in the scheme costs $60 and which covers the disposal of the asbestos waste at Gregadoo Waste Management Centre. Participants can elect to either remove up to 10m2 themselves or engage a contractor to remove up to 5 tonnes of asbestos waste.
The scheme applies to bonded asbestos only, including fibro sheeting and corrugated roofing.
Asbestos Disposal at Gregadoo Waste Management Centre
Gregadoo Waste Management Centre (GWMC) is the only waste management facility within the Wagga Wagga local government area licensed by the NSW EPA to accept asbestos containing waste.
Since 1 January 2008, a bonded asbestos licence has been required in NSW to remove more than 10m2 of bonded asbestos material. A licensed bonded asbestos removalist can remove any amount of bonded asbestos material, and licensing for asbestos removalists is regulated and administered by WorkCover NSW.
The two types of asbestos licences are designated as AS1 and AS2 licences.
- AS1 licences the operator to carry out work with friable and bonded asbestos.
- AS2 licences the operator to carry out work with bonded asbestos only.
Council's procedures for the disposal of asbestos at Gregadoo Waste Management Centre are summarised as follows:
- Gregadoo Waste Management Centre must be notified 24 hours prior to asbestos being delivered.
- Asbestos is to be handled and transported in accordance with the Asbestos Code of Practice (WorkCover);
- Licensed asbestos disposal contractors must provide a copy of their asbestos licence on arrival at Gregadoo Waste Management Centre weighbridge;
- Asbestos must be carefully unloaded onto the asbestos disposal area under the guidance of Gregadoo Waste Management Centre staff; and
- Asbestos will be charged at the rate specified in the approved fees and charges, with a one tonne minimum charge applying
For general information, relevant publications and answers to frequently asked questions regarding safe removal practices for asbestos refer to the following websites:
If you are thinking about renovating, you must be aware of asbestos. It is important for home owners and renovators to be aware of how to safely manage asbestos in and around the home.