Homeowners Asbestos Disposal Scheme
The Homeowners Asbestos Disposal Scheme allows for safe, cheaper and easier disposal of asbestos from home demolition or renovation projects.
How to participate
Come to Council and register at the Wagga Wagga City Council Customer Service Centre.
There's two options for how you can dispose of the bonded asbestos. You can engage a Safework NSW licenced asbestos removalist or Do It Yourself (DIY). Council recommends engaging a contractor for a few reasons, namely:
- Licenced trained professionals minimise the risks of exposure to yourself or your family when removing and disposing of bonded asbestos
- A contractor can dispose of up to 5 tonne of bonded asbestos from a residential property. If you choose the DIY option, you can dispose of up to 10m2 provided all Work Health & Safety guidelines are complied with. This equates to approximately 150kg of asbestos.
It's important to also contact Councils Development Department on 1300 292 442 to determine whether planned renovation or demolition works require consent.
Asbestos Disposal at Gregadoo Waste Management Centre
Gregadoo Waste Management Centre (GWMC) is the only waste management facility within the Wagga Wagga local government area licensed by the NSW EPA to accept asbestos containing waste.
Since 1 January 2008, a bonded asbestos licence has been required in NSW to remove more than 10m2 of bonded asbestos material. A licensed bonded asbestos removalist can remove any amount of bonded asbestos material, and licensing for asbestos removalists is regulated and administered by WorkCover NSW.
The two types of asbestos licences are designated as AS1 and AS2 licences.
- AS1 licences the operator to carry out work with friable and bonded asbestos.
- AS2 licences the operator to carry out work with bonded asbestos only.
Council's procedures for the disposal of asbestos at Gregadoo Waste Management Centre are summarised as follows:
- Gregadoo Waste Management Centre must be notified 24 hours prior to asbestos being delivered.
- Asbestos is to be handled and transported in accordance with the Asbestos Code of Practice (WorkCover);
- Licensed asbestos disposal contractors must provide a copy of their asbestos licence on arrival at Gregadoo Waste Management Centre weighbridge;
- Asbestos must be carefully unloaded onto the asbestos disposal area under the guidance of Gregadoo Waste Management Centre staff; and
- Asbestos will be charged at the rate specified in the approved fees and charges, with a one tonne minimum charge applying
For general information, relevant publications and answers to frequently asked questions regarding safe removal practices for asbestos refer to the following websites:
If you are thinking about renovating, you must be aware of asbestos. It is important for home owners and renovators to be aware of how to safely manage asbestos in and around the home.